Friday, May 25, 2007

Aging Gracefully

On the bicycle commute home yesterday afternoon, I spied a rider in front of me just pulling away from a light on the outskirts of town heading into the farm/ranch country. This is not a common sight; I seldom see other cyclists heading my same direction on this stretch of road.

As I pulled closer, I could see he was dressed in full racer-boy garb and was on a high-zoot, all Dura-Ace, carbon wonderbike. His outfit matched perfectly, like a go-fast racer. The man's wind jacket, shorts, jersey, socks, and even helmet were all emblazoned with the name of a local resort; I have no doubt they sponsor a small team or at least a club. He must have ordered the full matching kit.

As I got closer I could see he had very defined calf muscles and obviously shaved his legs regularly. He was holding a good line and had a smooth spin. I took him for a racin' type; he must have had some experience, I decided, just looking at his form. I put a bit more effort into the pedals and pulled even with him for a chat.

To my surprise, I found a much older fellow than I had expected. His hair was rather gray and he sported a weathered face. He'd seen his share of sun and rain; he was not the young pup I'd thought.

We exchanged the usual pleasantries about the fine sunshine and jointly cursed the quartering headwind we found ourselves facing; we ended up riding together for three or four miles until he turned off from my route towards his home. Nice fellow.

After I caught up to him, he seemed to want to push the pace a bit. I stayed beside him, but soon found it a little more strenuous than I generally ride on the commute home. I was wishing I was on my own go-fast bike and not the fendered, racked, and fat-tired commuter steed. The bike I ride to work and back is one or two mph slower than my speedier ride, and I got to the point where I would have appreciated the quicker machine. Thankfully his turn-off arrived before I blew up totally.

As it turned out, I had worked for him almost 20 years ago on my first job out of university. Actually, I worked for a guy who in turn worked for this fellow. He's still at the same place today, though I moved on to the job I have now after only a short time. It was nice to reminisce about several memorable happenings from back in the day. He didn't remember me, but I didn't expect him to either. I was just a flunky at the time; he was (and still is) the big cheese.

The funny thing about this rider is that I'm pretty sure he was in his mid-40's back when I worked for him. That would make him approximately 20 years older than I. He must be in his early to mid-60's now. Not exactly an old geezer, mind you, but not the young buck I took him for back at the traffic light.

Yea, there I was struggling to hang with a guy who must be looking retirement right in the face.

As soon as he turned off, I dropped the pace and cruised on home.

I tell you what, though. I hope I've got anywhere near that level of health when I hit that age.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice place you've got here, Eurastus. I tracked you back from your comment in my blog.

Years ago, I commuted by bicycle. Before that, while I was in the Marines out in So. Cal., I briefly raced mountain bikes at Mammoth and Big Bear.

But now I'm so out of shape, and my poor Rockhopper is collecting dust in the garage. This post makes me feel guilty.

Maybe I'll have to haul that old thing out into the sunlight this weekend, see if the tires still hold air.

That's if I can resist the siren's song of that Vintage Red GTS...

Sorry, just had to throw that in there. ;^)

Ride well,
=gc=

Eurastus said...

Gary, thanks for the good words. I suspect I'll be following in your footsteps soon ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I finally got around to reading your blog after you put it on my home page. I enjoyed reading it! I'm glad to see that you're finally slowing down to smell the roses - life is much better at a slower pace.

Eurastus said...

So, maybe big brother is not such an old fuddy-duddy after all, huh? And I haven't thought of you as "little sis" in something like, what...20 years? When are you starting your own blog, then?