Thursday, July 05, 2007

First One; Now Seven

Just a few weeks ago, I was the only employee of my company commuting by scooter on a regular basis. This morning, I see six parked directly outside the main office with at least one other down at the south building.

To be fair, several folks here have ridden periodically to work by scooter over the years, but it seems to me that a combination of higher gasoline prices and a decreasing number of available parking stalls during reconstruction of our parking lot (see the equipment in the background) has led to much more regular scooter ridership.

Additionally, I see many scoots all over town, though only a very few on the connector roads between communities here in the valley. The recent influx of cheap Chinese scoots has undoubtedly help fuel the growth, as the vast majority of scooters seem to be these no-name brands. I only hope that when the low-end bikes inevitable fail that the riders won't simply give up on scooters as a whole, but will purchase quality Italian, Japanese, or even Taiwanese replacements.

6 comments:

vespajitsu said...

It's always cool to see more scoots! Of course it's cooler when they are Vespas :) I definitely think gas prices are fueling(pun intended) the scooter revolution.
Come over and visit my blog, I'm blogging our long summer trip, I've trailered the vespas and am getting some good riding in.

Steve Williams said...

I see the same happening where I work. In the space I park in the scooter count has gone from my lone Vespa to three Vespa scooters and one Yamaha Vino. There is also a Harley Dynaglide, two Honda Goldwings, and two old Hondas from the 1980s and one dirt bike.

We have 5 spaces so there is some pressure to get to work early now! When it rains I have the place to myself though...

I've added you to my blog roll too. I am really negligent in that area. I think about it and then forget...

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

Eurastus said...

Cody and Steve,

Nice to hear from the both of you. It's good news to find out that someone actually reads this blog. I frequent your respective sites at least once a week, though I rarely comment. I suppose that's a bad habit. One should do unto others, and all that. Folks aren't likely to comment here if I don't reciprocate, right?

At any rate, thanks again to each of you for the kind words.

Vince Stevens said...

Erastus,

So far, I'm the only scooter (Vespa Et4) in the work parking lot. But, a colleague who drives a dually pickup to school everyday asked,
"How many miles a gallon that thing get..."
and several other of the standard questions we get. He was pleased to hear the 65 or so mpg. Apparantly, he spends about 20 dollars a day on his commute (he lives about 40 miles east in the mountains.) I suggested he look into the GTS, and he drive my ET4 around the lot... he liked it.

Gosh, the gas he saves would nearly pay for a new Bike.

Vince Stevens said...

Oh,

How is the new seat working out?

Eurastus said...

Vince,

I know what you mean with the co-worker issues. I've had a dozen or more folks here ask me the same questions over the past few months. I'd like to think that's a small part in why there are more scoots at work lately.

As for the seat, stay tuned for an update shortly.

Thanks,

Eurastus