Monday, June 25, 2007

22 vs. 9000; Horsepower, that is.

Most mornings, when I take the direct path to work, I pass the local Union Pacific switching yards. This small yard serves several short-line railroads, most notably long Utah Railway coal trains, along with the big yellow UP itself. I'm a long-time railfan, being enamored of big traction engines since childhood, when my dad bought me a small AT&SF N-scale toy train set for Christmas. I've loved watching trains, big or small, ever since. When I'm near the yards, I try and notice what rolling stock is there, how it's configured, and especially which locomotives are on duty.

I generally pass the yards early, as the train crews are preparing for the day. If I give them a toot from my scooter horn, they'll often honk back with an air-powered blast or two.

This morning, three matching UP EMD SD40-2 locomotives were warming up for the day, with their unique ticking sound. As I whizzed past, I couldn't resist stopping to snap a photo of my humble 22 hp next to their combined 9000 hp. I console myself by thinking that my top speed is higher than theirs.

And I don't have to follow the rails; I can go anywhere I please.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a happy little blog going here, big brother. Nice to read some of your thoughts on slowing down and contemplating life. Now my only question is, how do you think that Vespa would look taking a riding tour of Europe and Scandinavia? ;-)

Eurastus said...

Now, that's a thought I hadn't had. Believe it or not. Actually that's a great idea. I'm sure touring Europe would be just fine on the Vespa. As long as the GPS maps were up-to-date, that is.

vespajitsu said...

Cool shot!!

Eurastus said...

Glad you like it. It seemed such a juxtaposition between the small, high-mileage scoot and the large, powerful locomotive.