Monday, June 04, 2007

Early Morning Joggers at the City Park

I seem to have no problem waking up early enough to be one of the few mechanized folks out on the road. I seldom see another scooter or motorcycle rider. Perhaps as the overnight low temperatures rise, along with the prices at the pump...

It's amazing the number of joggers out this early, though. Depending on the community I drive through, the difference in the number of runners is dramatic. In my own hometown, I regularly see the previously mentioned jogger-moms, but they're limited in number to perhaps a half-dozen or so. No other exercisers seem to be found in town.

But when I head east to the next community on the other side of the farms, they're out in force. I must have seen 20-25, mostly young, fit women, running in pairs or triplets; very few men are out, and they're always alone. This community is of a higher economic scale, no doubt. The homes are substantially larger, the cars are nicer, and the lots tend to be rather well-groomed. I wonder if the women see themselves as needing to keep up a certain standard. Maybe that's their motivation.

If so, that's too bad. On the other hand, they seem, to my five-second glance as I ride by, to be happy and laughing. I wonder if the same could be said for the inhabitants of my own home town.

As I passed the city park, I noticed this fine older bandstand sitting empty. It looked like a nice place to spend a summer evening, listening to the local brass band play some John Phillip Sousa tunes.

Just then a gaggle of joggers passed by, giggling and laughing with each other all the way down the street.

I made it in to work with plenty of time to spare. Nice ride.

No comments: