Friday, June 15, 2007

New Saddle; Happy Butt

Ever since I bought the GTV, I've been a little unsettled about the leather saddle on this particular scooter. I like having unique items, but not when they don't perform as they should.

This particular saddle is not the same as other GTV scooters I've seen, being an orange color, almost like a basketball, instead of the normal medium brown. That's OK, but what's worse is that the leather itself is also so thin that it tends to wrinkles up under my butt on rides of any length. This can get uncomfortable and looks cheap.

Additionally, the foam padding feels to be not very dense. As a result, it deforms easily under my weight. I notice this happening when slowing the scoot when coming to a stop in particular. As my weight shifts forward in response to the deceleration, I find the front of the saddle deforming and letting me slide forward and almost off the front of the saddle. I'm well aware of this happening with a poorly adjusted bicycle saddle. In that case, the remedy is to angle up the saddle slightly in the front, an adjustment that is easy enough to do with a decent-quality bicycle seatpost, but not apparent at first on this scooter. I examined the saddle and determined that I could insert a set of spacers under the nose and thus slightly raise the angle in the front. I haven't done that yet, but had intended to hit the hardware store this weekend for a set of longer bolts and spacers.

I casually mentioned my displeasure of the saddle's construction to the Vespa salesman earlier this week, but figured there was nothing more that could be done, short of ordering the $900 seat myself, and I wasn't that displeased. Well, two days later, I received a call from the Service department of Utah Vespa saying that my replacement saddle had arrived.

Wow. What quick service!!

Two-day turn-around in response to a vague complaint is remarkable. I didn't figure the salesman would go to the trouble to warranty the original saddle, but he must have. Great customer service indeed.

Well, everything isn't always as it initially appears. As it turns out, the mechanic who uncrated and performed the initial assembly on the scoot noticed the same issues as I. He placed a defect replacement order at that time; it was in response to his request that the saddle was shipped.

Regardless, I rode in to the dealership yesterday afternoon and swapped the old for the new. What a difference!! The new saddle is more attractive in color, being a medium brown instead of orange and thus should be easier to purchase other leather accessories to match. In addition, it appears to be made of substantially thicker leather that holds its shape much better. The saddle itself is firmer and therefore more comfortable; I wonder if it has different foam padding as compared to the original. It sure feels like it.

I do like the difference. I'll have to pay particular attention to the firmness of the padding over the next few days to see if I need to apply the tilt modification to this saddle or not.

6 comments:

vespajitsu said...

Hello Eurastus,
Welcome to the blogging world. That is a really nice looking Vespa! I like your seat that you have now much better. But personally I hate the GTV seat anyway. I tried sitting on one and kept sliding forward. The Vespa guy even stated that he was receiving the same complaints from taller customers. I'm 6 feet tall and like to ride toward the back of my seat. Too bad, because I like the look of the seat.
I love Utah!! It is really beautiful!
Now that I found your blog I'll put you on my links page. Stay in Touch.
Cody
PS From my blog you can go to a number of other like-minded people. Some who are also MV members.

Eurastus said...

Cody,

I appreciate your support. I'm 5'10" tall and seem to fit well on the GTV seat; my legs aren't long, however, and this may make a difference. I'm going to try the seat-angle adjustment this weekend. I'll report on the blog how it works out.

I ran into your blog early in my Vespa research. I remember those almost-matching scoots you and your wife have. It stuck in the back of my mind and when my wife suggested getting two scoots, it struck a chord, with me hoping for experiences like you two have with your wheels.

Now you've run into me. Funny how these things seem to come full circle.

Nice to have you here,

Eurastus

vespajitsu said...

Michelle and I are heading out for a long trip for the Summer. We are bringing our Vespas. It has taken 16 hours and quite a few bucks to get a folding trailer put together and some real nice scooter wheel chocks, tie downs, ect.. A friend and I just finished it today. I'm spending more money to go on this trip than the actual trip :(
I saw you have two Vespas, is your wife riding now?

Eurastus said...

She rides some; her scoot has 70 miles on it, 50 of which are hers after my initial 20-mile ride home from the dealership.

She's waiting to complete the MSF basic course before she piles on too many miles. I think that's wise. I want her to have a good experience, and if she's willing to pay the $180 each for us to attend together, that's fine by me.

We've got a course scheduled for mid-July.

Eurastus said...

Oh, by the way, where's your summer trip to? Headin' out West?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. I put some .75" vinyl spacers under my lxv seat and no more sliding. I can see what you mean about pressure under the thighs if you go over 20mm spacers. Thanks for coming up with the idea.
Jack